About the Project
The South Australian Government has committed to deliver a New Women’s and Children’s Hospital (New WCH).
The New WCH will now be built at the SAPOL Barracks site, near the Royal Adelaide Hospital, providing space for both hospitals to expand in the future.
Key clinical benefits of the new hospital on the Barracks site include:
- 25% bigger than the current WCH
- Critical care services; Birthing, Theatres, 23-hour ward, PICU and NICU all on one floor
- Dedicated Heliport with direct access to critical clinical areas
- 56 more overnight beds than the current WCH
- Future capacity to provide a further 20 beds
- Future proofing for cardiac surgery
- Dedicated sterilisation facilities
- An integrated 4 bed Intensive Care Unit to enable women requiring high care to remain at the New WCH
- Park Lands connectivity to assist families and enhance patient care
- Eliminates the risk of interruption to RAH clinical services during construction
- The New WCH and RAH will both have future capacity to expand.
We want to thank our clinicians, staff, consumers, key stakeholders and the South Australian community for your significant expertise, time and effort in getting us to this point.
Your input will be used to inform the Master Plan and the design of our new hospital at the new site.
For more information, Frequently Asked Questions are available here.